Monday, January 12, 2009

Thursday 8th Jan 09- 14km Easy Run.... Tuesday 6th Jan 09-Telok Blanga Hill Run

Thursday 8th Jan 09- 14km Easy run-DepotRD-Queentown-PortDown-BVMRT-QueenTown-DepotRd
Today run was an easy run, said the trainer. It was not the case for me, I have taken it as my muscle endurance run to pump up my heart rate. I planned to run not more than 6min/km pace and I knew it was not difficult to pick up anyone in MF in this pace. Anyhow, I also wanted to get back to MF earlier to work out on the Gym cycling.

I started the run behind, maybe, 10 runners. My 1st km was a 6min/km-pace warm up run, and was running with Melvin Jr and chatted with him a bit. I increased my speed after Depot Rd and already over took 3 to 4 runners while approaching QueenTown shopping center and later spotted Kumaran at the junction toward PortDown. Even though I knew I would not be able to pace him up long, I still decided to pace with him anyhow just to test my limit see how far I could go.


Thru out the PortDown, I tried to pace him but most of the time lacking behind 10-20m and noticed from my HRM that speed was 13km/hr (ie. 4.6 min/km), later I slowed down to 12km/hr and could only catch up Kumaran and also Melvin Jr and Trevor at traffic lights along CommonwealthRd. I would start off from the traffic light with them, but very quickly I would lack behind again. They were too fast with consistent speed of 13.5 to 14 km/hr. I was admiring all of them from behind noticing they were running at this speed without much effort like having a comfortable jog. After turning into QueenTown Rd, I lost sight on all of them, by then I was doing 11.5 to 12 km/hr and my final stretch along Depot Rd was approx 11.5km/hr.

My total time was 1hr 13min/14km (I believe caught-in-Traffic-Junction time was 4 to 5 min). That means my ave. speed approx 12km/hr (5 min pace). And from my HRM, I did a max of 13.3km/hr for 4 km, ave speed 11.5km/hr, max HR 174, ave HR 161. This was my first time I did this pace for 14 km. A very good heart rate pumping run.

As it was only 8.05pm after the run, I did a few min stretching in the gym and proceeded cycling for 35 min. Set resistance at 9 and constant cycling of 105 - 110 rev/min. I was concentrating in maintaining this speed 31km/hr for 35 min. After the whole work out, my leg was so tired and wobbling. But it was a very good intensive run and biking.

Running - 14km - 1 hr 13 min
Cycling - 35 min - R9, 105-110 rev/min

______________________________________________________________

Tuesday 6th Jan 09-Telok Blanga Hill Run
I met Trevor in the locker room and he was so kind to give me his brand new inaugural-2007-Aviva 70.3 top tri vest as Christmas present, and he insisted that I wear in this year Aviva event. I felt pressured and I told him that I have yet to achieve it and not too sure if I will wear it. But he kept ensuring me that I will make it and he will support me on that day. But really, the back/white vest was very nice and no one could resist to wear it. Sigh!!


The training was the hill run at Telok Blangah hill and I thought it would be a good training for the up coming 30km KL pacesetter run. It was nice and encouraging to see so many MF runners returning to run after a long holiday and in a new year. There were 3 new runners.


The run was 6 to 8 laps, 1.2 km hill run within 1 hr ( I was hoping the figure 8, 1.4km loop which I thought was more challenging and to attempt 7 laps within 1 hr, 1 lap better them the last training, which I did 6 laps in 48min). Well, anyhow, I was thinking of trying 8 laps this evening.


We went to the Hill thru Henderson wave and it was a tough warm up run thru the wave, and I started off too fast. So when I arrive the hill I felt my muscle tight and leg heavy. We started the run after Jimmy's briefing.


Still feeling my legs heavy (must be due the 2 brick training last week), I thought it would be good to go a bit slow for the first 2 loops so as to hope to gain up momentum. However just after the 1st up slope, Judy caught up with me and her pace was quite fast and I decided to pace up with her. I managed to pace up with her 2 loops and I found myself drifted further way from her after each up slope, however I was feeling good and quite comfortable in my run as I slow down a little bit. I was thinking if I had time I will doing an additional loop or maybe 2. However after my 6th loops I felt a bit of pain in my right knee cap, even though I thought it could not be serious, I was not willing to take the risk to have an early injury in the new year, I decided to stop at 8th loops. My last loop was very fast pace as I was racing up with Wong who caught up with me in the last slop. My timing was 47min with HR of 160 to 175bpm and it was a good heart pumping work out.


After the hill run, it was only 8.10pm when back to MF, I knew I could do gym bike. Set a resistance of 9 and managed to maintain at 32 km/hr. Eventually, I did 32 min for 15km bike. This was the first time I set resistance on 9. With the limitation of weekday bike training, I plan to increase resistance gradually and ride intensively after each run. I was initially at 7.


After the work out, did a good stretch and warm down before had my shower and pick up Lucille who had her run in the her Gym. We went Maxwell food center to have our dinner. I told her about Trevor Gift and she also encouraged me to wear it on the actual event. Hmmmm!


At home I tried the Tri vest, and wow! was Lucille's instantaneous reaction and insisted that I should wear it in the event since Trevor was so kind to give it to me. The vest was really nice and fitting on me. Well I think I will take it as an motivation and support from Trevor that I will wear it on that day, but I need to season it in my brick training before the event.
.

No comments: