Monday, January 19, 2009

Thursday 15th Januanry 2009, Recovery Swim In MF

Since I had to rest my strain Achilles tendon and sore muscle, I decided to swim. I "dragged" myself to the pool because I was still tempted to run. But I would not take the risk to do KL pace setter without being in 100% tip top condition. Anyway, I could still feel the pain and strain on the tendon and muscle.

I did a 30 laps front crawl with the pull-buoy and did not wish to push myself too hard tonight. I wanted to do a recovery, slow and relax swim, focus on stroke efficiency and try to work on my rhythmic kicking and breathing. I took slightly longer pause after each lap, especially the 3rd 10 laps.

1st - 10 laps at 13.47 min - 1min break
2nd - 10 laps at 15.03 min - 1 min break
3rd - 10 laps at 16.01 min.

After the swim, I got up the pool and took a break. I then noticed a petite lady swimmer and young I guessed (could not tell with her goggles on) swimming front crawl, I really must emphasize "SWIMMERRRR" as the way she swam was graceful, relax and effortless, with prominent smoothed-gliding motion. She was my idol for the night.

Her stroke was near perfection, and kick rhythm was well coordinated with her neat stroke without water splashing all over. She was literally floating. I secretly timed her which was a consistent 75-80sec/lap for, I think, 10 laps when she stopped. But I knew she could go on non-stop for another 30, 4o laps or more. She made me envy her but felt she has intimidated my split timing. Nevertheless I did learn something from her by just observing her stroke and rhythmic kick, and was motivated by her to swim and practice more.

Interestingly, swimming beside my "idol" was a guy swimmer, hmmm not so much a swimmer I gathered. He swam with water splashing noisily all over the pool as he was hitting into the water forcefully with his stroke and kick. I could almost still hear the sound of his splashes when he reached the other end of the pool. He took long rest after every 2 laps; long enough for my "idol" to have completed 2 of her laps. And when he started to swim he seemed to be challenging her. At that moment I hope I did not swim like him. If I did, I must really practice more so that I would not be like him; and certainly this was another motivation to work hard on my stroke and kick.

After the swim, as time permitted, I went to gym to do biking, resistance 8, 95-100rev/min, 28-30rpm for 35 min. Stop at 8.50pm , do a bit of warm down stretch, took a shower and quickly went to pick up Lucille for dinner, I was starving by then.

While travelling I was thinking of Sunday's KL pace setter run and my "mission". I am confident that I can accomplish this "mission" especially having just accomplished the MR25 Ultra Marathon. Really looking forward to this run.....!!
.

No comments: