Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday 4th Jan 20009- Brick training in SCC Gym

I have originally planned to go YSC (Yishun Safra Club) to do a OD tri, then my young one (YO) who had been lately envying my tan skin which I got it from Thursday brick training and MR 25 ultra run a week ago, told me that he also liked to swim today to get tan and Lucille who had been nagged by me lately having not spent enough time in her Planet Fitness gym and wasted the subscription fee, also wanted to work out in the gym. Since both of them have to pay to use the YSC, I decided to bring them to SCC (Seletar Country Club), quite unwillingly though because SCC does not have the Olympic size pool. Without such pool, I couldn't keep track on the swim distance and split timing. However, I felt that it would be very nice to have Lucille and YO with me while doing my training and I have always advocate the priority of spending time with my family.


We left home almost 10am in the morning and drove to the McDonald which was 3 to 4 min walk from home, and interestingly on our way, my YO said that he liked to walk back home to take his Sun Tan lotion which he has forgotten. Hmmm see how persistent he was to have his skin tan. We had a good breakfast and headed on to SCC. The drive was only 20 min.


On arriving the SCC pool, YO chose to work out in the gym first with his mum and to swim in the afternoon when the sun is the strongest. As for me I was cracking my head wondering how to trace swim distance with split timing on this "play" pool. I noticed the longest length of the pool but not too sure what was the distance, I know it was definitely not 50m lap. So I decided to swim 2 laps to equal 1 Olympic Pool size 50m lap. After doing some stretching I started to swim. On completion of the first 2 laps of front crawl, the timing was 1.35min (95sec), and base on my average timing on the 50m lap size pool which was 80 sec, mathematically 2 laps was approx 60 meters. A good estimate I thought.


I started 2 laps of front crawl and with alternate 2 laps breast stroke and was determine to complete 30 laps non stop which made up of 1,800 meter. I stopped for a minute after the first 10 laps (600m), and the next 20 laps(1200 meter) was continuous without any pause for rest. I was surprised that I managed approx. 1.8km, first time with alternate style, since I always tend to rest 3 to 4 min after after any 500m swim. So, not too bad and was happy with the perseverance since I have never tried long swim with front crawl without leg float. After the swim and feeling a little bit kiddy, I immediately went to the locker room, put on my shoes, ZenStone3, HR chest wrap, vest and proceeded to the gym.


It has been some time that I came back to this SCC Gym, and to my surprise there were quite a number of new equipment include the 2 stationery bikes. The thread mill are also new with very informative dash board.


The stationery bike was impressive, it has adjustable aero bar. I started to cycle with resistance 7, but not without constant adjustment of the aero bar and seat's height in order to get the most comfortable riding postion . The dash board was user friendly, showed speed, distance, paddle rev/min, etc without the need of switching. But, I noticed that the speed seemed to show faster > 35km/hr , when paddle speed was 110 rev/min. It was very different from those bike at MF SC, when 110 rev/min at resistance 8, the speed was 30km/hr. Not to waste time figuring on this, I focused on the timing with constant 110 rev/min and I deicided to clock 80 min and took it as 40km, even though it showed much more in the stationery bike. This ride was nice because Lucille was cycling with me which she has no chance if I cycle on the road.......


I then proceeded to run on the new thread mill, instead of running on the road. I was thinking of running 10km, but changed my mind when I remembered that there would be 3 laps of 7 km in the Aviva 70.3, twice passing the viewing gallery. So I decided to run 14km to imagine that I started from the viewing gallery and would pass viewing gallery running strongly and with spectators clapping and cheering. Hmmm yes in the fantasy I knew. Finally I ran 15 km instead. I pushed myself 1 more km since I felt the strenght to do it, and run timing was 1hr 34min. And my training ended approx 3hr 30 min while Lucille and YO ended 45min earlier though. We left SCC approx 4.15pm and headed Causeway point for Ya Koon Bread and after that YO went to meet up his JC friends, leaving Lucille and I window shopping while waiting dinner time, though I more preferred to sit in Ya Koon to rest my tired poor legs and catched up on my weekend newspaper.

Quite satisfied and happy with the training with Lucille and YO with me. This swim has given me more confidence to do ling swim with front crawl, and I has also worked on well with my stroke efficiency especially the front crawl and proper breathing.

The timing:-
Swim – 2 laps front crawl and continuous alternate 2 laps breast stroke
S1-16.51min (1 lap-30m, 20 laps = 600m),
S2-36.16min (40 laps = 1,200m), Total swim distance = 1,800m, time= 53.07min

Bike – Stationery bike
S3-1hr 20min (40km )

Run – Thread mill
S4-15km - 1hr 34min

Total timing = 3hr 47min
.

No comments: