Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sunday 11th Jan 2009, YSC Location Run + Brick Training

After having recce up YSC last Wednesday for possible brick trainings, I thought of doing a 3 discipline brick; 1.5km S, 50km Bike on road and 10km on road today. However, felt that it would be better to support the YSC inaugral location run. Afterall I still could do swim and run's brick training after the run. I decided to do 30 lap swim, followed by 10km run either on thread mill or on road, a biathlon. I met Melvin Jr who was also interested to swim after the run.

It was a 14km run around the Yishun estate and then led up to the canal, meet at 7am and the run started at 7.15am. Quite a good turn out, it was approx. 70 odd runners from the 4 clubs but only a small group, slightly more than 10 from MF. The 14 km route was although not new to me as I have tried a few time running from Woodland to Yishun, it was nice to discover new route such as the running path along canal linking up the sembawang park, Buckaroo (a Western food restaurent where I occasionally had dinners with Lucille and the boys) and BottleTree Chinese restaurent (alot of greenery). I felt the run was very organised, well arranged drinking point and it was a good time to catch up with other runners from other clubs. The run was casual and chit chat with several runners along the way.
Group photo was taken in between the run. The run end at 9.20am and after some warm down stretch conducted by the host,and a final group photo at the YSC was also taken, breakfast (fried bee hoon, agar-agar and drink) was served. Chat for a while with our MF runners before I peoceeded to my swim. There were more photo in this link. http://srctp.multiply.com/photos/album/111/SRC_Location_Run_SYCC_-_1#

I met Melvin Jr back in the pool and started my swim at about at about 10.15 am. Just to be safe that I would not get cramp on my legs in the pool, I decided to swim with the aid of pull buoy. I did a 30 laps front crawl with 1 min rest after every 10-laps. The aim of this swim was to work on the efficiency of my stroke and breathing.

The timing was:- S1-12min-20sec, S2-12min-37min, S3-14min. The third 10-laps was slow though, as I bounced into some children in some laps. I noticed that I swam stronger and have improved my split timing quite a bit, it was used to be over 13 and a half min per 10 laps with long break of 3 to 4 min long break between each 10 laps, and always struggling at the last 2 to 3 laps of each 10 laps. My target was to do a continous 30 laps eventually, and few weeks before Aviva I can do 40 laps without any break, never mind if I am slow but of course before the cut off time of 70 min.

After the swim I went back to the gym, by then Melvin Jr who did 20 laps had left me. Without wanting to stop too long and already decided not to run on the road, I quickly put on my shoes, HRM strap and did the 10km run in the thread mill. I maintained at 10km/hr for the 1st 5 km and 10.5 km for the next last 4 km, and 11km/hr for the last 1km. After the run, I felt strain and pain on the muscle and tendon below the right calf, I must have run too fast and over trained for the day.

After lunch with Lucille and Niel, I was totally knocked off sleeping for 2hr before Lucille and I went to support Deus on his hockey competition in Bukit Timah.
.

No comments: