Monday, February 23, 2009

20th Febuary 2009, Friday, Yellow Fish Trial in Bouna Vista Pool

I went for the Yellow Fish trial recommended by PS. It started at 7 pm in Buona Vista Swimming Pool and ended 8.50pm. While waiting for PS at the pool, the coach had already started the training by instructing the trainees to do some drills.

I think this was the kind of training that I needed if I want to do well OD tri and long course tri. Generally I can swim; my breast stroke is stronger and more confident, but as for front crawl, unfortunately I am weak. Understandably, if I want to have good timing in the swim then learning to swim front crawl correctly is a must. I gathered that of the 3 disciplines, swimming is the one that need technique and skill compared to cycle and run.

YF has 2 offers; one was 10 pool swim and 2 sea swims. Meanwhile sea swim is what I need now to tackle the Singapore Biathlon and Aviva 70.3 in the coming weeks.

Coach started by asking me to swim a 100m front crawl, he assessed my swim and commented that I was swimming too fast, rushing and full of drag (strangely I felt I was swimming too slow). Yes, drag was the "culprit"; you swim hard but move a little. He said I needed a lot of drills and long swims. Friday class concentrate 70% drill and 30% swim. Seem I have to put a lot of hard work....!

My next drill was; right hand pull and push, recover; and left hand would start to pull and push only after right palm touched the left hand and vice versa. Gosh! this was tough for as I tend to sink before I started to execute the next stroke, and so I straggled to stay afloat than to swim. Coach advised not to worry because I was not use to this drill yet, but he reiterated that was the most fundamental thing that I must know how to do and it determined if I was swimming correctly. After some other drills and explanation on kicking rhythm and strokes, we did some long swims before coach called it a day. Wow, these long swim tired out my whole body especially my arm. Ouch! now arm aching bad....!!

The swim was fun and good. I decided to join YF. Coach reminded us about the sea swim with a mini biathlon on 1st Mar. Ironically, I have to start this course with the sea swim. Unfortunately, I still would not be able to start pool training 27th Feb next Friday.

I look forward to the coming sea swim and definitely more pool swims.
.

No comments: